Monday, August 13, 2012

Bench Power Supply

I decided to mothball my power supply project. I may come back to it one day, I may not. I sort of had a rage-quit moment this week-end, when I blew one of the channel's regulator circuits. The thing is, I didn't do anything I didn't think it could handle. Now, the voltage output is always 2 volts higher than what I set it for, and the current-limiting seems to never kick in, it goes to 1 full amp (or at least that's the max I'm capable of measuring) when I short it. Meh. I thought it was more robust than it appeared to be, and I didn't want to spend more time to complete it, only to run into more issues. It needs some re-design.

The Bench Power Supply (Powerbug 6000), in its
open casket, the mothballs are in my head.... and my heart.

So as a wrap up, I'm just going to post some pictures I (and my wife, player with an in-law's camera) took of the project.

My dev setup, a completed regulator channel board is on the left.

Here's one of the channel board, this is in fact the one that died.

The underside of the channel board. I think I'm actually good at putting
together rat's nest perf board circuits.

Hot glue!
All three assembled regulator boards. I surprised myself in how consistent I
could be in the construction. 

I did put a lot of time into this project, it's another one chalked up to a "learning experience".
As a consolation, my wife is encouraging to just go out and purchase a bench supply. It will not be as cool, or as featured as my supply, but then again, it may actually work.


1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.


I welcome you're thoughts. Keep it classy, think of the children.