Recently, Sedition "0.0.3.0" hit the various Android markets I publish to. It was supposed to be the version that finalized the feature set. Of course, I can leave it alone. I've recently started a new job, and for the first time, I work on web/server/'cloud' based technologies. It is interesting in that I absolutely love learning new things, but it's also tough in that I have so much to learn before I feel I can develop software with the speed and craft that I can with desktop and embedded software.
In the previous version of Sedition, I'd experimented with a high score library called "Score Ninja", a mostly painless way to add a high score system to your game. You go to the Score Ninja website register a game, and get a game id, then download a jar and link your game with that, with a few calls into the library to post or retrieve scores. Users are required to download a scoreninja app from the market which handles all of the communication.
Score Ninja was nice, and easy to use from a development standpoint, but I was not quite happy with the end user experience, (eg, having to download an app, that was not available in all markets I publish in). I also didn't have much control over how the leader boards were grouped, displayed and organized. Also, lately, I'd gotten a lot of errors in trying to view the leader board on my test devices.
I decided that I'd right my own scoreboard system for the next release. I'm using the Google App Engine, to service the scoring system, and it will have a browser front end so that detailed score stats can be viewer in a browser. I believe the Score Ninja server is also a GAE application.
I'm still on the fence about it, but I might implement part of the server side in Scala. My new job uses that, so there addition motivation to attain a level 70 command of that language. I have found that my C# background helps a lot more than Java, since there are many Scala features that also exist in C#, but not in Java, such as closures, lambda functions, collection comprehensions, and operator overloading. The JVM on the App Engine supposedly runs Scala applications well.