Google released the final/stable version 17 of the ADT today. There are a number of fixes and improvements that almost make me feel that the fine folks at Google read my blog, or at least are inside my head, reading my thoughts - which is entirely plausible too.
Check out the full release notes here
Of special interest to me are:
- Better, automated jar dependency support: link
- "Added a feature that allows you to run some code only in debug mode. Builds now generate a class called BuildConfigcontaining a DEBUG constant that is automatically set according to your build type." While this does not address my grievances, it's a step in the right direction.
- Hardware virtualization support for emulator images based on x86, link. I haven't tried it out yet, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this gives a much needed shot in the arm (see what I did there?) to emulator performance. *And yes, I know my pun didn't really make sense.
- Support for hardware GPU on the emulator: link. This is a big one! Maybe the openGL support is better on the emulator now too.
- Fixes for Proguard, with the "Conversion to Dalvik format failed with error 1"issue fixed. I wasted an entire evening and then some on that once, though I eventually fixed it by splicing a newer version of proguard into my local ADK.
I have a new version of Sedition almost ready to go, with only minor tweaks needed (most of the time needed will be QA'ing my tweaks). I think I'll wait until I publish again before kicking the tires on this release.